Prof. Dr. S.V. Zagraevsky
Redetermination of the date and status of Savior Church in Vladimir
Published in Russian: Çàãðàåâñêèé Ñ.Â. Ê óòî÷íåíèþ äàòû è ñòàòóñà öåðêâè Ñïàñà âî Âëàäèìèðå. Â êí.: Ïàìÿòè Àíäðåÿ Áîãîëþáñêîãî. Ñá. ñòàòåé. Ìîñêâà – Âëàäèìèð, 2009. Ñ. 126–130.
The article specifies
the date (1164) and the initial status of the church of our Saviour in
The following text was translated from the Russian original by the computer program
and has not yet been edited.
So it can be used only for general introduction.
The Church of the Transfiguration of the Saviour was built by Andrei Bogolyubsky of white stone in the South-West of the "New town" of Vladimir fortifications 1158-1164 years (Fig. 1), not far from the Golden gate.
Fig. 1. The plan of Vladimir XII-XIII centuries (NN Voronin).
The numbers on the plan identifies: I - the city of Monomakh (Picerni city); II - Vecanoi city; III - the New city; IV - the citadel; 1 - Church of the Saviour; 2 - the Church of St. George; 3 - the assumption Cathedral; 4 - the Golden gate; 5 - Originy gate; 6 - gates of Brass; 7 - Silver gate; 8 - Volga gate; 9 - Demetrius Cathedral; 10 - Who is%
After a fire in 1778 the white-stone Church was destroyed and in its
place was built a new brick Church, which exists at present (Fig. 2). Location
of the old temple on the site of the new confirmed excavations carried out
under the guidance Voronin in
Fig. 2. The Church Of Our Saviour. General view.
It is important to note that the builders of the end of XVIII century stylized Church "antique", without copying the old Church (as the builders of the Cathedral of the Vladimir Nativity monastery 1860-ies and Staro-Nikolsky Cathedral in Mozhaisk 1840-ies), without building a new Church in the modern style (as the builders of the Church of the Nativity of the virgin in the hierarchy of the middle of XVIII century and CH%
The plan, forms and sizes of the
The decor of the
Fig. 3. The Church Of Our Saviour. The Northern wall.
No architectural and archaeological evidence shows that the
The Foundation of the
However, a few chronicle sources concerning the pre-Mongolian time is so precious that we are not entitled to disavow, and especially to ignore any of these dates. Divergence chronicle dates in this case is a logical explanation: because the "inception" is usually interpreted solemn divine service on the basis of Church"9 one can assume that the "zero cycle" construction of the temple was delayed, and this led to the fact that the service was "on the ground" was repeated several times: in 1160, 1162 and 1164 years10. Last inception was final, and after it finally started the construction, which lasted, as in most of the churches of this magnitude, one year11.
Accordingly, we are
N.N. Voronin suggested that "the
construction of a new white-stone Church near the
However, for some reasons we can not agree with this assumption.
First, the residence of Andrew was Bogolubovo and Vladimir he m
Secondly, the Church of our Saviour is located
West from the center of Vladimir and Bogolyubovo - East. If Andrew and there
was a need to build in
Thirdly, the Church of our Saviour is located
almost in a straight line between Gold (ceremonial) and
Fourth, the location of the Church of the Saviour
is unique: it not only is situated very close to the slope above the Klyazma
(and thanks to this perfectly visible from the river and from
Fifth, Andrei inherited the house with the white-stone
- Yuri, the Prince of Suzdal with 1113 (or even 109614)
years, was unlikely to
- the area around the
in 1152, when, according to the Printing record, was built the Church of St. George15she was still outside the city walls, as the walls of the "New city" was built only%D
- consecration of the Church "heavenly patron" Dolgoruky - George - itself cannot serve as a proof that the Church was home, but in the light of the preceding provisions of this you should also pay attention.
Therefore, it is unlikely Andrei Bogolyubsky was the need to close with its court of Vladimir former courtyard of Yuri) to build another house because
From the above it can be concluded that the
Church of the Saviour was not home and detached "parade" Church,
dominating the South-Western part of the "New town" and designed to
improve the image of the
In light of this understanding of the status of
1. Voronin. The
architecture of North-Eastern Russia XII-XV centuries. Vol.
2. Ibid., C. 197.
3. PSRL 9:21.
4. PSRL 15:234.
5. PSRL 1:351.
9. For more information, see: SV zagraevsky. To the question about the Dating of the Church the monk Nikon (Nikon chapel Trinity Cathedral in the Trinity-Sergius Lavra. M., 2005. The article is on the web-site www.zagraevsky.com.
11. For more information, see: SV zagraevsky. To the question of reconstruction and the Dating of the Church of the Intercession on the Nerl. M., 2006. The article is on the web-site www.zagraevsky.com.
12. Voronin. The decree. cit., S. 200.
13. N.N. Voronin wrote
about the presence around the
14. Whalebones. Vladimir-Suzdal Rus. the%
15. PSRL 24:77. More
study of Dating the
16. Excavations Voronin
© Sergey Zagraevsky