Published in Russian: Журнал «Деловые люди», № 182, 2006 г.
The following text was translated from the Russian original by the computer program
and has not yet been edited.
So it can be used only for general introduction.
Most of the man surprised by the discrepancy
voice and appearance. The high soft voice with whimsical intonation went to hudomu timid
intellectuals with glasses. Externally, the
same 42-year-old man, whose name is Sergey ZAGRAEVSKY, similar to the former
athlete, weightlifter: a tall, broad-shouldered, bald. In general,
- I'm an artist, art historian, theologian and businessman. - So he says, when he was asked about his kind of activity. - Some artists go to work as porters to earn money, but I do business.
From 10.00 to 19.00 and the artist ZAGRAEVSKY in an expensive suit sitting in an office opposite the Danilov Monastery and manages a large advertising firm. After 19.00 on weekdays and on weekends Sergei removes suit and begins to live the life of the theologian, writer, art critic, chairman of the union of artists and arts editor of the rating. But first he - the artist. Images ZAGRAEVSKY some like, some not, but they certainly haunting.
Here is floating pleasure boat on the Moscow River, amid the Kremlin walls, the sides disagree on water waves, the sky shines oval sun, like an omelette. But the Moscow metro, which is more like some fabulous merchant's mansion. "Autumn in the Country showers bright round leaves and bright happy flowers, very similar to those that draw children of primary school lessons on drawing.
Sergei ZAGRAEVSKY grew sickly thin boy, who was in school everyone always resent the fact that the weak, and for the fact that a Jew. The turning point in his life occurred when he went to MADI. That's when Sergei began to eliminate child complexes: actively engaged in sport and even became a Komsomol activist. Then there was a post-graduate courses, thesis (as claimed by Sergey, written by himself, without assistance). Shortly after defending his dissertation, he realized that science and teaching did not pay big money, and began looking for other ways to enrich: testing the computer for the money that it has started to bring in the USSR, worked part time freelancing, selling abroad, skins and horns of cattle, of which foreign partners have made fertilizer. He worked as director of a subsidiary company of a large bank.
Active work lasted until 1998, while default is not made adjustments to the Russian economy. The bank, whose leadership was Sergei, like many other Russian banks ceased to exist. And then ZAGRAEVSKY decided to become a professional artist.
- What do you draw? - Asked Sergei.
- Draw a dog.
- I do not draw animals, let me draw you a boat.
He takes a sheet of A4 white office and a ballpoint pen rapid jerky movements draws curls waves, the boat with a sail and the sun in the background. Then, a little thought, takes one more piece, and paints a dog that is.
- The cat is like a little bit - I noticed.
- Oh, look at her ears like a dog, a dog - confidently says the artist. Then he puts the number in both figures, signs and gives to me.
On the wall in his office hangs a picture painted with oil: Livadia, cypress, mansion with columns, lots of sun and, as always, vivid colors.
- And that, buy your paintings?
- Yes, they are taking, I've sold several dozen of his works. My paintings hang permanently in the CHA, and they can buy anyone.
- How do you all have time to: start a business, and art?
- I am a lonely man, do not drink, so the time for all missing: at work, and creativity.
- As far as I know, it is you have created the Russian union of artists and is its chairman today.
- Yes, I created this organization in 1999, and she happily lives to this day, enjoys the credibility and actually protects the rights of artists. We are completely free legal support to members, and to our securities very seriously and carefully includes in state structures. Our organization already have a tried and tested methods of "pressure". Trade unions are unique public associations. They are designed to protect the rights of its members, which means that any trade union - a priori opposition to executive power. This is normal, it is written in the law. There is a fantastic phrase: trade unions are independent from the executive, accountable to their control and responsibility of the union is protection of rights.
In walked in a woman of average height wearing a black suit and sunglasses and gave Sergei a certain folder.
- Here is my Office Assistant. We've been together 20 years of work. More horns sell together, but now doing commercials.
- In other words, as an artist, you have failed?
- Why? Just the fact that I came to the art, the beginning of the complete collapse of the art market and stop opening new names. Now most of the new names - it is mostly children, someone from the masters. Mostly comes stock sixties, they enjoy well-deserved fame and prestige. All the public attention is now thrown on the other side - it is antiques. Shops seethe, they open up new names, now have raised a large reservoir of minor artists of the XIX century. But in modern art, where there is a commercial risk, - a complete standstill. In the late 90's when I switched to art, I'm still hoping that I will make a shift. But alas.
- And what, descendants will know who Sergei ZAGRAEVSKY? How do you think?
- Since I work in a large number of related areas, I have a chance that ZAGRAEVSKY found still be as a public figure, and me already many know. A ZAGRAEVSKY as an artist, most likely, likely in a given historical epoch has not. I have a very peculiar style, he irritated many. It is not my time. That's twenty years later - we'll see.